Tom Taranto is an independent compressed air system professional with more than 30 years of experience providing services to industrial clients, utilities, and energy agencies. He is the owner of Data Power Services, LLC. He has extensive experience in design and application of fluid power systems both hydraulic and pneumatic. Tom’s work involves compressed air system design, air compressor application, and performance of related compressed air system components. He conducts compressed air system assessments, equipment testing, and compressed air system training throughout the world.
Industry Recognition & Training Experience
- Compressed Air Challenge (CAC): Tom is an instructor for CAC's Fundamentals, and Advanced Management of Compressed Air Systems Training. As a core level instructor and CAC technical committee member Tom is involved in the development and continuous improvement of CAC training.
- US DOE/CAC Instructor for Qualified AIRMaster+ Specialists: Co-trainer for the AIRMaster+ Specialists Qualification, Co-author of training text, and committee member establishing standards of knowledge and learning objectives.
- ASME Industrial System Energy Assessment Standards Committee: Co-Vice Chair of the project team to develop and maintain industrial system energy assessment standard ES-4-2010 "Assessment for Compressed Air Systems".
- International Standards Organization (ISO): Technical committee member of TC118/SC6/WG4; Energy Management work group, Air compressors and compressed air systems.
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization: UNIDO, Industrial Motor Systems Efficiency Program targets emerging industrial countries to reduce energy use and environmental emissions. As a member of the International Team of Experts Tom co-authored and taught a curriculum to prepare energy engineers to conduct compressed air system assessments, develop energy efficiency projects, and train factory personnel.
- US Dept of Energy Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy: Contractor providing support for EERE's Best Practices industrial energy efficiency program. In this National Program Tom provides training, system auditing, project assessment, and curriculum development.
- Educational Program Innovations Center (EPIC) Mississauga, ON Canada: Tom is a faculty member for EPIC, one of the leading providers of engineering continuing education in North America.
- Manitoba Hydro, Winnipeg ON, Canada: Compressed Air System Management Seminar presenter for Power Smart Performance Optimization Program. Tom is the author and presenter of Energy Efficiency in Compressed Air Systems.
Education & Industry Training
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering; Clarkson University 1975
- Milwaukee School of Engineering, Electronics for Fluid Power Specialist 9/84
- Compressor Application Training: Joy Manufacturing, Atlas Copco, Cooper Turbocompressor, CompAir LeROI, Kobelco NW
- Compressor Service Training: Atlas Copco GA Series 3/87, Z Series 3/89
- Blower Applications Training: EG&G Rotron Regenerative Blowers 9/18/93
- Vacuum Applications Training: Rietschle Vacuum Pumps 10/94
- Air Dryer Training: Van-Air Systems, Pneumatech Inc.
- Pneumatic System Design Training: Rexroth Pneumatics (WABCO)
- Hydraulic System Design Training: Racine Hydraulics, Fluid Controls Inc. (Danfoss), Schroeder Brothers Filtration
- Heat Exchanger Application Training: ITT Standard Heat Transfer Division
- Industrial Fans and Ventilation: Buffalo Forge Company 6 Month Application Engineering Training
Tom's work in compressed air system design for a wide range of industries underscored the need for improved methods of air system evaluation. Beginning in 1992, Tom championed data logging methods for compressed air system auditing that are in common use today. While he continues to perform air system assessments, ongoing development targets the objective to refine data based auditing techniques. Tom has developed and continues to improve CASIMM™ (Compressed Air System Impedance Management Model), a fluid mechanics based mathematical model of compressed air system performance.
- Volunteer Firefighter (1982 - present)
- Belgium Cold Springs Volunteer Fire Department, Baldwinsville, NY
- Fire Chief (1996 and 1997), Assistant Chief (1991 - 1995)
- Emergency Medical Technician, Critical Care Level (1982 - 1999)